gnome kbd error and splash problem

All,

I recently upgraded my sarge distribution.  Now, when I log in, I get a big error
message that says:

"Error activating XKB configuration.
Probably internal X server problem.

X server version data:
The XFree86 Project, Inc
40300001
You are using XFree 4.3.0.
There are known problems with complex XKB configurations.
Try using simpler configuration or taking more fresh version of XFree software.
If you report this situation as a bug, please include:
- The result of xprop -root | grep XKB
- The result of gconftool-2 -R /desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/xkb"

I haven't done anything that should make my XKB configuration "complex."  I can't
figure out how to get this message to go away.  Also the splash now stays up
forever.    Bottom line, X is not working as nicely as it used to before the upgrade
and I don't know how to go back.

Thanks,
David