Solved (probably) - Re: Attempted upgrade to sarge - perl relocation error

On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 10:13:18PM +0100, Paul Stephenson wrote:
> I thought I'd take the plunge and try an upgrade from woody to sarge this
> evening, mainly to see if my new Epson C84 printer will work better with
> sarge than with woody.  I had a quick look round for any upgrade reports on
> the best way of doing this, but didn't find much, so I thought I'd just try
> what I remembered from the potato-to-woody upgrade.

[snip]

> Then I got this error:
>
> """
> Preparing to replace xlibmesa3 4.1.0-16woody3 (using
> .../xlibmesa3_4.3.0-7_i386.deb) ...
> Unpacking replacement xlibmesa3 ...
> /usr/bin/perl: relocation error: /usr/lib/perl5/auto/Text/Iconv/Iconv.so:
> undefined symbol: Perl_Gthr_key_ptr
> """

[snip]

> Any help would be much appreciated.  I feel like I should be either forcing
> some upgrade to perl (scary), ...

(Replying to my own post for the archives.)

After I wrote the mail above, I thought to check the versions of perl
packages on my system.  Lo and behold, a mismatch:

"""
trevor:~# dpkg -l perl\* | grep ^i
ii  perl           5.6.1-8.7      Larry Wall's Practical Extraction and Report
ii  perl-base      5.6.1-8.7      The Pathologically Eclectic Rubbish Lister.
ii  perl-doc       5.8.3-3        Perl documentation.
ii  perl-modules   5.8.3-3        Core Perl modules.
"""

Well, I suspected that having a different version of perl-modules from that
of perl-base and perl is not a good idea if you're expecting scripts to run
properly, and that this was probably the source of my problem.

It occurred to me that apt had already downloaded the required debs, so I
might try just installing perl-base with 'dpkg -i'.  Bingo!  Seemed to work,
and 'apt-get -f install' sorted everything else out.  Now I'm just in the
process of downloading the 600MB or so of archives needed for a
dist-upgrade, so wish me luck for the rest of the transition to sarge.

Cheers,
Paul