Attempted upgrade to sarge - perl relocation error

Hi there,

I thought I'd take the plunge and try an upgrade from woody to sarge this
evening, mainly to see if my new Epson C84 printer will work better with
sarge than with woody.  I had a quick look round for any upgrade reports on
the best way of doing this, but didn't find much, so I thought I'd just try
what I remembered from the potato-to-woody upgrade.

I start off with a plainish woody system.  The only additions are Java from
blackdown.org, OpenOffice from ftp.freenet.de, RealPlayer from Marillat and
an up-to-date spamassassin from backports.org.

It went something like this:

* Edit /etc/apt/sources.list

References to woody changed to sarge or testing.

It now looks like this (comments and blank lines removed):

"""
deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian sarge main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian-non-US sarge/non-US main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ sarge/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ woody/updates main contrib non-free
deb ftp://ftp.mirror.ac.uk/sites/ftp.blackdown.org/java-linux/debian/ testing main non-free
deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ testing main
deb-src http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian sarge main contrib non-free
"""

* Run 'script -a upgrade-to-sarge.typescript'

This is how I retrieve the error messages below.

* Tar up /etc/ and /var/lib/dpkg/ and stick them in /root/

* Run 'dpkg --get-selections > /root/dpkg.selections.pre-sarge'

* apt-get update

This failed until I took out non-US/contrib.

* apt-get install apt dpkg apt-utils

This is the bit I remember from the previous upgrade.  I have no idea if
this is desirable before a dist-upgrade for getting from woody to sarge, but
I thought it couldn't hurt.

It downloaded lots of packages, as it does, and merrily started upgrading
things.

Then I got this error:

"""
Preparing to replace xlibmesa3 4.1.0-16woody3 (using
.../xlibmesa3_4.3.0-7_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement xlibmesa3 ...
/usr/bin/perl: relocation error: /usr/lib/perl5/auto/Text/Iconv/Iconv.so:
undefined symbol: Perl_Gthr_key_ptr
dpkg: warning - old post-removal script returned error exit status 127
dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/xlibmesa3_4.3.0-7_i386.deb
(--unpack):
 there is no script in the new version of the package - giving up
/usr/bin/perl: relocation error: /usr/lib/perl5/auto/Text/Iconv/Iconv.so:
undefined symbol: Perl_Gthr_key_ptr
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 127
"""

After this it all went a bit pear-shaped, with a number of other packages
failing to upgrade due to what look like links with xlibmesa3.  For example:

"""
Selecting previously deselected package xlibmesa-gl.
dpkg: considering removing xlibmesa3 in favour of xlibmesa-gl ...
xlibmesa3 is not properly installed - ignoring any dependencies on it.
dpkg: yes, will remove xlibmesa3 in favour of xlibmesa-gl.
Unpacking xlibmesa-gl (from .../xlibmesa-gl_4.3.0-7_i386.deb) ...
dpkg - warning: while removing xlibmesa3, directory
/usr/share/doc/xlibmesa3' not empty so not removed.
/usr/bin/perl: relocation error: /usr/lib/perl5/auto/Text/Iconv/Iconv.so:
undefined symbol: Perl_Gthr_key_ptr
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/xlibmesa-gl_4.3.0-7_i386.deb
(--unpack):
 subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 127
"""

It's OK, I thought, 'apt-get -f install' and 'dpkg --configure pending' are
here to sort out this sort of thing for me.

However, even they are stumped by the "relocation error" coming out of perl.
For example, if I try it now, I get this:

"""
trevor:~# apt-get -f install
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
  alsa-headers foomatic-bin foomatic-db foomatic-db-engine foomatic-db-hpijs
foomatic-filters hpijs libasound2-dev libdb4.0 libdigest-nilsimsa-perl
  libdigest-sha1-perl libgtk-perl libhtml-parser-perl libice-dev libsm-dev
libsvga1 libsvga1-dev libxaw6 libxml-twig-perl libxml2 libxml2-dev
libxmu-dev
  libxt-dev perl perl-base razor xlibmesa-gl xlibmesa-gl-dev xlibmesa-glu
xlibmesa-glu-dev
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libtime-hires-perl libweakref-perl xlibmesa3
  alsa-headers foomatic-db-engine foomatic-db-hpijs foomatic-filters hpijs
libasound2-dev libdb4.0 libdigest-nilsimsa-perl libice-dev libsm-dev
libsvga1
  libsvga1-dev libxmu-dev libxt-dev xlibmesa-gl xlibmesa-gl-dev xlibmesa-glu
xlibmesa-glu-dev
12 packages upgraded, 18 newly installed, 3 to remove and 713  not upgraded.
7 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B/12.5MB of archives. After unpacking 12.5MB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
Reading changelogs... Done
/usr/bin/perl: relocation error: /usr/lib/perl5/auto/Text/Iconv/Iconv.so:
undefined symbol: Perl_Gthr_key_ptr
(Reading database ... 104880 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing xlibmesa3 ...
/usr/bin/perl: relocation error: /usr/lib/perl5/auto/Text/Iconv/Iconv.so:
undefined symbol: Perl_Gthr_key_ptr
dpkg: error processing xlibmesa3 (--remove):
 subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 127
 xlibmesa3
"""

Any help would be much appreciated.  I feel like I should be either forcing
some upgrade to perl (scary), or bypassing the xlibmesa3's postrm script, or
fooling dpkg into thinking xlibmesa3 isn't really installed any more.  None
of these I know how to achieve, and I wonder if the last two options would
only shift the problem from xlibmesa3 to another package that might want to
use Iconv.so anyway.

The only reference to a perl error like this that I could find on
lists.debian.org (via Google) was some chap in January who looked like he
had a similar problem (except with gettext.so) but received no responses:

I can post more files from my system if they would be useful, including any
more of the typescript (currently 1.3MB).

At least it seems my system is still generally working, despite apt and dpkg
being in some half-broken state!

Thanks in advance,
Paul