ipod in "do not disconnect" until hotplug is disabled?

Hi,

I don't know if this is the right list to start asking questions, but
if not please point me in the right direction and I'll get out of your
hair.

I've got an ipod that's plugged into a debian unstable system running
the 2.6.8-1 kernel.  Hotplug is set up on the system to run in rcS.

When I plug an ipod into a usb2 (run by the ehci_hcd driver) port, it
immideatly goes into the "do not disconnect mode" whether or not I've
mounted the drive.

After I'm done using it, I need to turn off hotplug to get the ipod to
a state where it doesn't think that its in use.

Is this a known problem, and if not what can I do to generate a more
useful bug report?

Thanks,

-Peter

--
The 5 year plan:
In five years we'll make up another plan.