Re: umount: devfs: not mounted

On Monday 26 July 2004 12:59, Pradeeper wrote:

> I installed Sarge and downloaded latest kernel 2.6.7 from www.kernel.org

Why? kernel-source-2.6.7 (2.6.7-3) is in testing. Along with kernel-package,
you should have no problem creating a debian package from that source, which
is easy to install.

Just unpack the source in /usr/src, create a link from it to /usr/src/linux,
configure the kernel with your favorite tool (I find that 'make menuconfig'
works well). And just type 'make-kpkg kernel-image' to get a debian package,
which you can install with 'dpkg -i kernel-image-...'.

> and now I'm having some problem with booting in to my new kernel.

> modprobe: FATAL: Could not load /lib/modukes/2.6.7/modules.dep: No such
> file or directory

Are you sure it doesn't say /lib/modules/..etc..?

Looks to me like the modules weren't installed properly. Using the make-kpkg
method should do this automatically.

> umount: devfs: not mounted

Are you used to using devfs? If you are using Kernel 2.6.7 you should
definetely be using hotplug+udev instead.

> pivot_root: No such file or directory
> /sbin/init: 424: connot open dev/console: No such file
> Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!

Looks like this is cause by the system not finding the right devices in /dev.

If you are using udev, you need at least /dev/null and /dev/console to exist
before udev is mounted.

Anders

--
This email was generated using KMail from KDE 3.2.3 on Debian GNU/Linux