Re: OpenOffice.org -- Lacking dictionary & help files by default?

Justin Goods wrote:
I've been using OOo for a bit now. The spell checker never worked..
Initially, I assumed it was just a bug of some sort, and would be
fixed in the next release. Well, after a recent [apt-get] upgrade I
noticed that the spell checker still isn't working.. Not only that,
but the help files are missing...

After fumbling around a bit, and installing a few packages, the spell
checker was working, and the help files were present...

I was wondering if the lack of help, and dictionary files is a known
"issue" (it probably is)? it seems a bit odd for these things not to
be installed by default, because I see no reason for them not to be,
unless the maintainers are trying to keep size down. However, the
packages I installed only were only ~12MB.

But as you will have no doubt noticed there are dozens of different languages for both spelling and help...very annoying to have to download them all when you only need one of each. Plus there's the whole architecture independent business as well.

peter