OpenOffice.org -- Lacking dictionary & help files by default?

I've been using OOo for a bit now. The spell checker never worked..
Initially, I assumed it was just a bug of some sort, and would be
fixed in the next release. Well, after a recent [apt-get] upgrade I
noticed that the spell checker still isn't working.. Not only that,
but the help files are missing...

After fumbling around a bit, and installing a few packages, the spell
checker was working, and the help files were present...

I was wondering if the lack of help, and dictionary files is a known
"issue" (it probably is)? it seems a bit odd for these things not to
be installed by default, because I see no reason for them not to be,
unless the maintainers are trying to keep size down. However, the
packages I installed only were only ~12MB.