Re: CUPS printing problems in Sarge

On Sun, Jun 06, 2004 at 02:16:11AM -0400, Jim Seymour wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I remember seeing several messages in recent months about being able to
> print test pages and nothing else when using CUPS. I have not been able
> to locate them. I am running Sarge with kernel 2.6.6 and cups
> 1.1.2final+cvs20040330-3. Basically if I try to print anything I get
> hundreds of sheets ranging from blank to covered with gibberish. Test
> pages work just fine though. Ideas?

Have gone from bad to worse now. Nothing will print now. I have removed
cups and switched back to lpr. Files get spooled but never print. In
dmesg I can see:

parport: PnPBIOS parport detected.
parport0: PC-style at 0x378 (0x778), irq 7, dma 3
[PCSPP,TRISTATE,COMPAT,ECP,DMA]
lp0: using parport0 (interrupt-driven).

I have tried straight EPP in bios with no change. This is a Epson Stylus
Color 740. Using escputil as root I get:

nuthatch:/home/jim# escputil -sr /dev/lp0
Escputil version 4.2.6, Copyright (C) 2000-2001 Robert Krawitz
Escputil comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type 'escputil
-l'
under certain conditions; type 'escputil -l' for details.

Cannot open /dev/lp0 read/write: Device or resource busy

Should there be a lpd.lock file in var/spool/lpd when it is not
printing? The only boot difference I am noticing right now is that the
actual printer used to be shown in the dmesg output.

Thanks in advance,

Jim Seymour