Re: replace kernel and upgrade packages?

samkupar wrote:

hi
i am a newbie and am using debian(knoppix3.3),i would like to ask few queries:
1) can the kernel be altogether changed with a new kernel? like linux to
use kernel-2.6.3,what is the way to do it? what sequence of commands?
You can install a new kernel in debian by running apt-get install kernel-image-blah-blah. This will pull down the new kernel image and any required packages that kernel needs. Be careful to follow the debconf instructions when you install the kernel, however. In particular, make sure you run lilo (if that is your boot loader) or update-grub (I think that's the command) after you install the kernel. To see what kernel images are available, try running "apt-cache search kernel-image" (without the quotes). That will search the available debian packages for kernel images. I have never used the knoppix distro, and this will only work assuming you have installed debian on your hard drive, and not booting from the CD.

2) i am trying to install octave with kpackage(apt=get) but get an error-'result
100' and the package doesn't install.there's a '?' icon infront of octave.i am not able to uninstall it also?
Not sure what that error is. If you run as root "apt-get install octave", what is the output?

3) can i install rpms of fedora linux on debian?what command to install rpm onto debian?
As far as installing fedora rpms on debian, there is a program that is called alien, which converts an rpm to a .deb package, but I wouldn't recommend it if you want to use a lot of packages from fedora. Try to find a debian package first, and if you can't, then maybe try alien. Debian has a lot of software packaged already...

Jason Martens