Re: replace kernel and upgrade packages?

Tom Vergote
Developer / Web Developer
E-mail: tom@tomvergote.be
Personal Website: http://www.tomvergote.be

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004, samkupar wrote:

> hi
> i am a newbie and am using debian(knoppix3.3),i would like to ask few
> queries:
> 1) can the kernel be altogether changed with a new kernel? like linux to
>  use kernel-2.6.3,what is the way to do it? what sequence of commands?

apt-get install kernel-image-2.6.4-i386

It will probably ask you if you want apt to handle the lilo configuration
or if you want to do it manually. It might also tell you something about
adding an initrd to your lilo configuration.

But don't worry, apt will tell you all the steps you need to take, copy
the instructions to a textfile and execute all steps

> 2) i am trying to install octave with kpackage(apt=get) but get an error-'result
>  100' and the package doesn't install.there's a '?' icon infront of
> octave.i am not able to uninstall it also?

Try doing it in the CLI, you will probably get a more detailed error
message.

you could also try apt-get -f install to fix all half installs or
conflicts

> 3) can i install rpms of fedora linux on debian?what command to install
> rpm onto debian?

There are packages like alien that allow you to install rpm's or tgz or
whatever on debian, but i wouldn't go that way.

Is there really something you can't find a deb repository for and that you
absolutely need an rpm to install? Chances are the rpm doesn't follow the
debian directory layout or policy and you might get in trouble.

I'd rather compile it manually in /usr/local if i really have to than
install from a foreign distro rpm