debian sucks aka i cant get it to install

I'm glad debian isnt my first introduction to linux because if it were, i'd be running back to windows.

Right now trying the testing network install

I've tried installing it several times now in several ways and i cant get anywhere with it (including the stable cd-rom install). Lilo never seems to load, nor does grub. It either does nothing, or does something too quick for me to see what its doing and then just puts me back where i was. Selecting the 'finish install and reboot' option just puts me back at the lilo setup screen.

Several times i've gotten a debootstrap error because awk was already there (booted into the shell and deleted awk to get past that problem). I've also gotten debootstrap error return value 127. When i get that error and look in the debootstrap log file, it says error were encountered while processing:
libopencdk8
libgnutils7
exim4-daemon-light
mailx
at
exim4
/usr/sbin/debootstrap: 1: sleep: not found

Can anyone point me to some resources that give you a good guide on how to install debian? I'm familar with linux through redhat, but this is the first time i'm playing around with debian. I'd REALLY appreciate some help getting this working. But please dont send me anymore new MS patches to fix this ;)

Ian