Re: Understanding python2.3 migration problems

On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 08:29:42PM -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
> I'm trying to understand Colin Watson's discussion
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-release/2003/debian-release-200309/msg00057.html
> of problems blocking python2.3 from testing (I found it thanks to
> DWN).
>
> I'm puzzled because most of the packages listed seem to depend on
> python2.3, rather than having python2.3 depend on them.  Why would
> they block the migration?

When britney (the testing maintenance script) tries to install a package
into testing, it makes sure that it doesn't break any packages already
in testing. The python2.3 source package includes the python binary
package, and thus upgrading python2.3 upgrades the python binary package
from 2.2.(something) to 2.3.(something); this breaks everything in
testing that depends on 'python (>= 2.2), python (<< 2.3)'.

> The report from
> http://bjorn.haxx.se/debian/testing.pl?package=python2.3 looks much
> different, and I guess I was expecting Colin's note to be similar.

It's a common mistake to assume that update_excuses.html (which Björn's
script uses, I believe) is the only relevant information. In fact
update_excuses.html only lists obvious and cheap-to-calculate problems.
More expensive checks - counting uninstallable packages after attempting
to install each package in turn - are logged in update_output.txt.

(The errors reported in update_output.txt can sometimes be too
conservative when groups of packages need to be upgraded simultaneously,
as is true for any python transition. In cases like that, it's usually
easiest to ask.)

> I'm sending to this list because I subscribe and it seems on topic.  I
> hope that, and cc'ing Colin is OK.

I don't mind, but I read debian-testing so it's not necessary.

Cheers,