Re: Why don't valid candidates move to testing?

On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 02:57:27PM -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-07-17 at 14:31, Ben Korvemaker wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 01:49:23PM -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
> > > Some packages, such as r-base, appear to have been "valid candidates"
> > > for an extended period of time (> 30 days) yet they haven't moved into
> > > testing.
> > >
> > > A few days delay would not surprise me if higher priority stuff needed
> > > to be moved, but this does.  Can anyone explain what is going on?

The "Depends:" line should have been a hint:

r-base (1.6.0.rel-1 to 1.7.1-1)
    Maintainer: Dirk Eddelbuettel
    32 days old (needed 10 days)
    Valid candidate
    Depends: r-base db3

In other words, problems with db3 needed to be dealt with first.

> > Try http://bjorn.haxx.se/debian/
>
> Thanks for that link; I was looking for it.
>
> So it seems the basic issue is that being a "valid candidate" is
> necessary, but not suffient, for a package to move into testing.  Valid
> just means what, that it builds properly on all platforms?

It means that it passed a basic set of obvious sanity checks and that it
is now going to be considered in more detail (and more CPU time).

FWIW, db3 and thus r-base have been accepted in today's testing run,
thanks to some tweaking by aj.