Sarge install help

Greetings,

Apologies if this is the wrong list to ask this question.  I'm not a
Debian newbie--we've been running it on our servers for many years and I
recommend it to anyone who wants to try Linux.

I'm trying to install Sarge from scratch on an old K6/300 PC.  It has a
Promise Ultra 100tx2 card in it, supported by the Promise driver in
Sarge (but not in Woody).  I'm installing from
sarge-i386-businesscard.iso 21-Jun-2003 16:15.  Everything works pretty
well up until the kernel installation step, where I get

kernel-installer: info: Installing kernel 'kernel-image-2.4.20-1-386'

Unable to install the selected kernel.

Kernel package: ''

And over on tty3 (or is it tty4?) I get a message from mkinitrd saying
it can't figure out which is my root device.  I tried editing
mkinitrd.conf and changing ROOT: probe to ROOT:
/dev/really/long/devfs/path/to/my/root/partition, and also to ROOT:
/dev/hde0 (which I think is my root partition) to no avail.

Is there a quick fix for this?

Thanks.

--cro