Re: Unresolved symbols when building kernel modules with make-kpkg, worked fine before

On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 10:42:00PM +0200, Manuel Bilderbeek wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Manuel Bilderbeek wrote:
> >Since about a week (maybe a bit longer), I can't build working kernel
> >modules anymore. An example is lm-sensors (using lm-sensors-src) and the
> >CVS snapshots of the DRI stuff (packages made by Michel Daenzer).
>
> >I'm running testing, and update/dist-upgrade almost every day. The above
> >packages were built using gcc-2.95, since the kernel I'm running (the
> >precompiled kernel image of package kernel-image-2.4.20-1-k7) is
> >compiled with 2.95.
>
> I still don't know what the problem was. But I just got a new
> kernel-image (2.4.20-3-k7), which was compiled with gcc 3.2. Now the
> selfbuilt kernel modules load fine into my kernel (even though I'm
> running gcc 3.3)!
>
> Again, I have no idea what the problem was... (it seemed that the name
> mangling was just a little bit different or so). And I didn't get any
> useful reactions either... (Thanks for trying though!)
>
> Best regards,
>
> Manuel Bilderbeek

I'm not sure if it's relevant, but testing recently moved to 3.2 as the
default compiler, and then almost instantly to 3.3.  I've seen
statements elsewhere that 3.3 won't compile the kernel because of some
coding errors in the kernel: