[OT] Re: Fully supported dot matrix printer using ribbon?

A.L.Meyers wrote:
Hi!  Please excuse me if this question is off topic.  After several
years of expensive and ecologically questionable ink jet and laser
printers, I yearn to get back to an old reliable, indestructible, very
cheap in consumables dot matrix printer.

Suggestions for a good dot matrix printer using inked ribbon, very
reliable and simple to use, with a nice letter quality output and fully
supported by Debian are most welcome.  If possible the printer should do
A3 single sheet paper.

Greetings,

Lucien

Hi

The NEC PinWriters were always a good choice. I still have a NEC P5200 that's working quite well. The actual models with A3 width are called NEC P62 or P63 AFAIK.

BUT: Do not expect Laser or Inkjet quality output with inked ribbon. You have to use these special coated tapes, like tipewriters use, for real letter quality. And even then it won't be the same. But from a ecological point of view, the idea is good. Except: Good dot matrix printers are very costly nowadays.

Regards

Marcel