Re: xfree84 4.2.1 and Matrox G550

hi Hartmut,

On Fri, 9 May 2003 11:23:10 +0200 (CEST)
Hartmut Henkel <henkel@vh-s.de> wrote:

> is there anybody out there who is successfully using sarge xfree with a
> Matrox G550 graphics card? Kernel 2.4.20-1-K7.
>
> When I try starting gdm, the graphics card shakes the monitor back and
> forth and tries to get into graphics mode, without success, and this
> goes forever! I know that this should normally stop after about the 3rd
> attempt.

as http://www.xfree86.org/4.2.1/Status18.html#18 explains:
Support (accelerated) for ... and G550 is provided by the "mga" driver.
so make sure you are using this driver in your XF86Config-4 (Driver "mga").

as a general suggestion you should provide your /var/log/XFree86.0.log (or of
course hae a look at it yourself) for the xserver writes it's messages in there.
and of course also the XF86Config-4 config file. this will help analyzing a lot.

it seems (to me) that the xserver is trying to find a valid display mode but
can't. this could be caused by using the wrong driver and/or the wrong settings
(HorizSync and/or VertRefresh) for your display (among other things).

> And, do I need to install a kernel module (which one?) for the G550? (I
> believe not, as this is only for extended VGA terminal operation,
> right?) I tried to load module matroxfb_misc, but then the screen got
> black already during the boot process.

matroxfb is a framebuffer driver for matrox cards. you'll probably not need
this if you're working on a x86 machine (still i might be wrong on this. anybody
confirming this?)

> Or do I still have to wait for xfree 4.3?

i guess not. but hey, what the hell am i talking about, i did not even work on a
G550 yet so my suggestions might just be bogus.

f. soul

--
 /             \ 	GNU's not Unix