kernel-patch-freeswan 1.99-6 & Kernel support for ipsec not found

Hi All,

I'm having trouble with the freeswan patches. I've installed and applied
these patches using every conceivable method, manually & via make-kpkg
to a 2.4.20 kernel source, but no matter which way I try it, once the
kernel is compiled, installed and booted, I  see no ipsec ref's in the
syslog, and any attempt to install the freeswan package (apt-get
--reinstall ...) tells me "Kernel support for ipsec not found".
I've installed freeswan previously using the freeswan source, but would
like to get the Debian package working.

All the freeswan options are present and selected in the network section
during make-kpkg config=menu-config .....

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks in advance,

Lewis Shobbrook