Re: d-i 20030304 install report

mån 2003-03-24 klockan 07.11 skrev Chris Cheney:
> The primary problem with the install was that kernel 2.4.20 doesn't
> support my HPT372 properly. So I installed onto the VIA ide upgraded
> the kernel and then moved the drive onto the HPT372. The kernel I
> used was 2.4.21-pre5-ac3 so once 2.4.21 comes out this problem likely
> will be resolved. Also on the disk I used (20030304) the install did
> not save the updated /etc/network/interfaces file. Also that d-i

Strange... That should definitely happen...

> version only supported making ext2 partitions so I had to use the
> console and use mkfs.ext3. Also mkswap was broken on that d-i
> revision. Hopefully new images can be created soon, aiui the reason
> they aren't currently is due to size being over 1440.

Was the ext3 kernel module loaded? We cross-run /sbin/mkfs.* and
/proc/filesystems and pick the ones that match both... The new tool
(partconf) tries to probe for some file system modules before checking
/proc/filesystems so this shouldn't be a problem.

> That is all the errors I can remember that I found, besides various
> package bugs like Standard or higher packages depending on Optional
> libs, etc.

We don't have to follow policy. :P The idea is that libs should be
optional and only pulled in by dependencies.

> Overall I can see d-i has made much improvement over the old
> boot-floppies system that was in use previously. Good Job!

Thanks! And thank you for the report.

/Martin
--
Martin Sjögren