Re: Why is only the latest unstable package considered for testing?

On Mon, 2003-04-14 at 04:09, Björn Stenberg wrote:
> Michael Stone wrote:
> > So who's testing the older version that's superceeded in unstable and
> > not present in testing?
>
> Good point.
>
> Is the consideration history of a package recorded anywhere?
>
> As an example, take curl[0]. The testing version is 7.9.5-1, released
> 2002-03-13. Since then, 13 versions have been released. The latest is not
> considered since it depends on gcc-3.2, but is there any way to find out why
> the previous 12 versions were not considered?
>
> [0] http://packages.qa.debian.org/c/curl.html
>
> --
> Björn

There are the changelogs in the package to indicate what was happening
with it and when.

There are all sorts of reasons why package A may not move to Testing,
not the least of which is bug fixes or changes before the previous
version had finished its "quarantine" in Unstable. Not building or not
working when built on all platforms the previous version (or the version
in Testing) does is another. Dependencies not able to move is another.
WRT curl, I don't use it but I am looking at
http://packages.qa.debian.org/c/curl.html and generally all of the 7.10
edition would likely have been built with gcc 3.2, which would be
blocking them for a while. There are some reports of problems at
http://qa.debian.org/debcheck.php?dist=unstable&package=curl however,
that appear in some ways to stretch back quite a while.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org