Re: Why is only the latest unstable package considered for testing?

Bob Proulx wrote:
> Your words specifically were that 3.0 was the stable version of your
> hypothetical software.  The DD wants that to release and therefore
> must keep that package stable.  By immediately patching to the new 3.1
> version and introducing experimental features they are setting
> themselves up for problems.

The 3.1 release does not have to be experimental, it could simply depend on another package which is not ready for inclusion in testing yet. Such as gnome2.

Many packages uploaded to 'unstable' do not fulfill the five rules to be accepted into testing. But that should not be held against earlier versions that do.

> On debian-devel there are often heated^Hlively discussions
> of problems and improvements to the process.  It has been evolving and
> will continue to do so.  I encourage you to monitor and participate in
> the discussions there.

I will do that. Thank you for your response.

--
Björn