Re: can't install debian

Hi,

This should have been posted to debian-user@lists.debian.org.

On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 12:07:49PM -0800, sergey dyshel wrote:
> Hi
> Following the advice I've got from linux.debian.user I
> repost my problem here.
>
> I'll try to explain here my installation process with
> all its problems and maybe you'll help me to fix them.
>
> I downloaded Debian 3.1 unofficial ISO-images (dated
> 11 of January), and burned them on CD-R. Then I tried
> to boot from the first CD. First I chose default
> "cdrom" (or "linux") boot. Then I came to the menu of
> three options: "auto-detect and mount
> cd-rom"(default), "finish setting debian installer"
> and
> "execute shell". When cd-rom was auto-detected "finish
> setting..." became default. So I pressed ENTER (I
> don't think I needed shell at this stage) and
> the installer printed a huge list of 31 different
> options. Not knowing what to do I pressed "q" to exit
> and was told that the installer can't find
> "/var/cache/anna/udpkg-...-.udeb" and the computer
> hang off.

Testing boot image is not for novice's first time install.

Get real woody CD (Or just few floppies following instructions on
www.debian.org) and install woody.

If you have good Internet access, change /etc/sources.list etc.
following documentation and upgrade using dselect.

If you are on human shuttle net, there are some tricks discussed on
debian-user using apt-zip etc.

> So here is my problem: I can't install Debian Testing
> on my computer?
> Can you help me? Maybe I have to install LILO manually
> so how can I do it?

Ask these question to debian-user.

 http://www.debian.org/
 http://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst

These are good start.  Install manual is very good too.

 http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual

> On linux.debian.user I've also got a advice to install
> woody and then upgrade it to sarge. In this case, what
> files must I download from the site to install basic
> woody system and how can I upgrade to sarge using the
> CD's I've burned?

Basically, for novice, do not think about burning CD to upgrade.  Just
get good net connection and upgrade through net with only files you
use downloaded.

For upgrading to testing and unstable, see below link for detailed
guide.

Osamu

PS: This ilist is for people testing "testing".
        Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org>   Cupertino CA USA, GPG-key: A8061F32
 .''`.  Debian Reference: post-installation user's guide for non-developers
 : :' : http://qref.sf.net and http://people.debian.org/~osamu
 `. `'  "Our Priorities are Our Users and Free Software" --- Social Contract