can't install debian

Hi
Following the advice I've got from linux.debian.user I
repost my problem here.

I'll try to explain here my installation process with
all its problems and maybe you'll help me to fix them.

I downloaded Debian 3.1 unofficial ISO-images (dated
11 of January), and burned them on CD-R. Then I tried
to boot from the first CD. First I chose default
"cdrom" (or "linux") boot. Then I came to the menu of
three options: "auto-detect and mount
cd-rom"(default), "finish setting debian installer"
and
"execute shell". When cd-rom was auto-detected "finish
setting..." became default. So I pressed ENTER (I
don't think I needed shell at this stage) and
the installer printed a huge list of 31 different
options. Not knowing what to do I pressed "q" to exit
and was told that the installer can't find
"/var/cache/anna/udpkg-...-.udeb" and the computer
hang off.

So I gave up trying to boot from CD. Instead of that I
booted into DOS and looked for
"/distr/sarge/main/disks-i386/current/install.bat".
While in Win32 I found it very quickly in DOS I faced
a problem with long file names (disks-i386 was
presented not as "disks-~1" but as "disks_i3" and I
failed
to change directory). So I copied directory sarge to
disk c and tried to boot from there. I succeed and a
pretty installer menu.

>From this point all was going well until a came to
"Install base system" stage. Here I was told that
script "/usr/lib/debootstrap/sarge" is missing
and it really was missing although scripts "sid" and
"woody" were there. I tried to rename them to sarge
(actually I tried both of them) and rerun this
stage. In both cases after extracting, validating
installing the basic packages I got and error message
about "chroot ...." command failure. So I
installed one of these scripts ignoring the errors and
returned to the menu. The only thing I had to do was
installing LILO of creating a boot
floppy. I failed to make a floppy (it simply spoiled
my floppies after that I was forced to format them).
When I tried to install LILO it said that LILO
can't be installed on my system probably because the
boot partition is beyond the 1023 cylinder (but I
don't think so because Mandrake 8.2 did it
without any problem).

So here is my problem: I can't install Debian Testing
on my computer?
Can you help me? Maybe I have to install LILO manually
so how can I do it?

On linux.debian.user I've also got a advice to install
woody and then upgrade it to sarge. In this case, what
files must I download from the site to install basic
woody system and how can I upgrade to sarge using the
CD's I've burned?

Sergei