Re: Virusscan

On Sun, 2003-01-12 at 19:51, Tomasz Cichecki wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Jan 2003, Jord Swart wrote:
>
> > All,
> >
> > I know the the amount of virusses on Linux is close to zero, nevertheless I
> > was wondering if you guys know of a GPL-ed virusscan for Linux? I know McAfee
> > has one for Unices available, but I would rather not use it.
> >
> > Second question to it: do you actually use one?
> >

> Linux is meant to be attack-proof,

Hmm. While I agree with you, that separating user accounts and
administration accounts saves the *system*, I don't think that Linux is
any more attack-proof than any windows system as far as a users data is
concerned (and, after all, this is what the user cares about).

At the moment, the main difference is that windows is far more
widespread, and the average Linux/Unix user probably knows more about
his system than the average Windows user. So, as a virus author, I would
chose the system where I can gain the most publicity...

So, if Linux ever spreads really far, I guess Linux viruses will also
appear.

(NOTE: I speak of 'virus' here in the modern call-all-malware-a-virus
fasion. I doubt viruses in the classical sense will ever again be
important - it's all about trojans and worms now).

cheers
-- vbi

--
featured link: http://fortytwo.ch/smtp