Re: Unknown local-part

[Don't Cc: me, as per Debian list policy]

On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 01:13:40PM +0600, Pradeeper wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 09:44:20AM +1100, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> > > "viraja" is another email address of my domain. What could be the
> > > problem?I have attached mainlog and exim.conf as well.
> >
> > Does the user 'viraja' exist on the machine you've installed exim on?  Is
> > there an entry for 'viraja' in /etc/aliases that points to an account that
> > doesn't exist?
> No! It doesn't have that user.
> This is my workstation and it's only have "root" and myself only.
> My email server is running on Lotus Domino R5 and I want to download all
> the emails from there to my woody box( and read them using Mutt).

So your situation is that you're trying to run Exim in "end-user" mode (for
want of a better term) where you want to send all e-mail to another server,
and only deliver mail to you personally locally.

In that case, you need to remove the other domain from your local_domains,
leaving only localhost.  Then, you configure fetchmail to deliver to
<whoever>@localhost (which, IIRC, is the default) then mail to
<whoever>@<yourdomain> will end up on your local system, but all other
e-mail @<yourdomain> will be forwarded to the correct server, which is (I
believe) what you're after.

> I have a another machine (Woody) which has KMail configured and it's
> working fine with the setup( where Exim is not installed). I think this is
> something wrong in my exim.conf, Any idea?

Yeah, use IMAP for mail access.  <grin>

The problem is that your local exim thinks that it is "authoritative" (as it
were) for your company's (?) domain.  So any mail it gets for
<anyone>@<yourdomain> it treats as "local".  Which domains get this
treatment are set by the local_domains parameter in exim.conf.  What you
want is for exim to treat *no* external domains as local, and instead treat
all mail as "pass-through", except for the one mail account which you
retrieve via fetchmail.

- Matt