Re: Unknown local-part

[I don't think this is the list we really want to be discussing this on.
Might move it to -user soon, if that's OK]

On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 11:32:17PM +0600, Pradeeper wrote:
> I have installed a Woody box with Mutt/Fetchmail/Exim configured.
> I can send and receive mails out side without any problem (any one out
> side my domain). But when I try to mail another person who is in my own domain
> (unionb.com), I get this error back,
>
>  	A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
>  	recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:
>    	viraja@unionb.com
>      	unknown local-part "viraja" in domain "unionb.com"
>
> "viraja" is another email address of my domain. What could be the
> problem?I have attached mainlog and exim.conf as well.

Does the user 'viraja' exist on the machine you've installed exim on?  Is
there an entry for 'viraja' in /etc/aliases that points to an account that
doesn't exist?  (I think that one gets an extra log message in exim, but
it's been a while since I've encountered it).  Are you running some
distributed user information system (LDAP, NIS, SNUI) which may not have the
user record available?

Basically, the only circumstance in which you should receive this error is
when the machine on which exim is running cannot get a name lookup for the
username involved.  You can check it by running 'id viraja' on the machine
exim is installed on.

- Matt