base-passwd_3.5.2 segfault

I've stumbled across a bit of an impasse updating the system during a
dselect install.  I get the following error with
base-passwd_3.5.2_i386.deb....

May I update your system? [Y/n]
Okay, I am going to make the necessary updates now
/var/lib/dpkg/info/base-passwd.postinst: line 116:  1454 Segmentation
fault      update-passwd --verbose
dpkg: error processing base-passwd (--install):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 139
 base-passwd

Can anyone tell me what to do about this?

Lewis Shobbrook
FastTrack Pty. Ltd.
Phone: +61 3 9866 8700
Fax: +61 3 9820 0276