Re: Packages that were held out of testing (libc6)

On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 05:20:02PM +0000, David Marsh wrote:
> [Traditional interleaved quoting: please read to end for all comments]

Since it's traditional, I would rarely specifically comment to say that
I'd done it. :)

> And what's the difference between 'upgrade' and 'dist-upgrade' exactly?
> (I've never been entirely sure?)

The description of 'upgrade' in the apt-get(8) man page explains that
there are some things that "under no circumstances" will it do.
'dist-upgrade' doesn't have those restrictions.

> With dist-upgrade, I would get:
>
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   php4
>   libdate-calc-perl
> The following packages have been kept back
>   lesstif-bin
> The following packages will be upgraded
>   amaya ash bash bc bison blt-common bsdgames bsdmainutils bsdutils cdda2wav
>   cdrecord cramfsprogs cron dash dc dialog diffstat docbook-dsssl
>   docbook-to-man fbset fdutils feh file findutils flex flexml gdb glibc-doc
>   gnupg grep grep-dctrl hostname info lesstif1 libc6 libc6-dev libltdl3
>   libncurses5 libnss-db libpam-modules libpam-runtime libpam0g libpcre3
>   libpng2 libsensors1 libtiff3g libungif4g libwine lilo locales login mailx
>   make mkisofs mount mtr-tiny mutt nano ncurses-base ncurses-bin ncurses-term
>   nedit nfs-common nfs-kernel-server nvi passwd procmail qiv sed setserial
>   sharutils strace syslinux tar texinfo timeout traceroute util-linux
>   util-linux-locales wdg-html-validator whois wine-doc winesetuptk wwwoffle
>   yodl
> 85 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 1 to remove and 1  not upgraded.
> Need to get 43.8MB of archives. After unpacking 16.3MB will be used.

With the exception of the removal of php4, this looks fairly simple to
me.

Cheers,