Re: Packages that were held out of testing (libc6)

[Traditional interleaved quoting: please read to end for all comments]

Daniel Bonniot wrote in gmane.linux.debian.user.testing:
 about: Packages that were held out of testing (libc6)

> After the new libc6 has made it to testing, I made an apt-get update.
> apt-get upgrade does not upgrade libc6, because it conflicts with php4,
> which makes perfect sense. But still, a lot or packages can be upgraded,
> although libc6 itself is not.

Did the upgrade go ok on your system?

With this stark warning about potential mass breakage in testing, I'm
reluctant to upgrade at this moment in time in case anything bad
happens! Did it work out ok for you?

And what's the difference between 'upgrade' and 'dist-upgrade' exactly?
(I've never been entirely sure?)

With upgrade, I would get:

The following packages have been kept back
  amaya bash bison bsdgames bsdutils cdda2wav cdrecord cron diffstat
  docbook-dsssl docbook-to-man fbset fdutils feh file findutils flex flexml
  gdb grep grep-dctrl hostname info lesstif-bin libc6 libc6-dev libltdl3
  libncurses5 libnss-db libpam-modules libpam0g libpcre3 libpng2 libsensors1
  libtiff3g libungif4g libwine lilo locales login mailx make mkisofs mount
  mtr-tiny mutt nano ncurses-bin nedit nfs-common nfs-kernel-server nvi passwd
  qiv sed strace syslinux tar texinfo timeout util-linux util-linux-locales
  wdg-html-validator whois winesetuptk wwwoffle yodl
The following packages will be upgraded
  ash bc blt-common bsdmainutils cramfsprogs dash dc dialog glibc-doc gnupg
  lesstif1 libpam-runtime ncurses-base ncurses-term procmail setserial
  sharutils traceroute wine-doc
19 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 67  not upgraded.
Need to get 7397kB of archives. After unpacking 2233kB will be used.

With dist-upgrade, I would get:

The following packages will be REMOVED:
  php4
  libdate-calc-perl
The following packages have been kept back
  lesstif-bin
The following packages will be upgraded
  amaya ash bash bc bison blt-common bsdgames bsdmainutils bsdutils cdda2wav
  cdrecord cramfsprogs cron dash dc dialog diffstat docbook-dsssl
  docbook-to-man fbset fdutils feh file findutils flex flexml gdb glibc-doc
  gnupg grep grep-dctrl hostname info lesstif1 libc6 libc6-dev libltdl3
  libncurses5 libnss-db libpam-modules libpam-runtime libpam0g libpcre3
  libpng2 libsensors1 libtiff3g libungif4g libwine lilo locales login mailx
  make mkisofs mount mtr-tiny mutt nano ncurses-base ncurses-bin ncurses-term
  nedit nfs-common nfs-kernel-server nvi passwd procmail qiv sed setserial
  sharutils strace syslinux tar texinfo timeout traceroute util-linux
  util-linux-locales wdg-html-validator whois wine-doc winesetuptk wwwoffle
  yodl
85 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 1 to remove and 1  not upgraded.
Need to get 43.8MB of archives. After unpacking 16.3MB will be used.

(A substantial difference, and would include the potentially(?)
dangerous libc upgrade..?)

--
David Marsh, Glasgow, Scotland, N Europe. | http://web.viewport.co.uk/
<email valid @time of writing>, but reply to list preferred, thanks.