Re: Rpm problems

hi ken...

2002-08-14/21h, when Ken Stronach wrote:

>   I am trying to  install my Lexmark drivers for a Optra C710 but the rpm keeps giving me a few errors.
>
>   rpm -i lexmark???.rpm
>   error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - No such file or directory (2)
>   error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm

>   Never tried to use rpm's within Debian before but I assume I am using it correctly...

i think i had this problem a couple of months ago as well, when i tried
to install the rpms for planeshift. the problem was, that there did not
exist a rpm-database.

i do not remember so well, but it was either just "touch"ing the needed
file or doing something like "rpm --initdb --dbpath /var/lib/rpm".

you could also run a "strace" on the rpm the see which file could not be
opened.

hth,
 myster sen