Re: Rpm problems

Ken Stronach <kgstrona@rogers.com> [2002-08-14 21:33:03 -0400]:
>   rpm -i lexmark???.rpm
>   error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - No such file or directory (2)
>   error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
>
>   Never tried to use rpm's within Debian before but I assume I am
>   using it correctly...
>   Any help would be appreciated...

Actually, rpm is provided to be able to build rpm packages and not to
install rpm packages.  The LSB is working toward a goal of using rpm
files as the interchange.  And so Debian will use rpm packages.  But
not directly.

Use alien to convert the rpm package to a deb package.  Then install
the deb package.

  apt-get install alien fakeroot

  mkdir /tmp/junk
  cd /tmp/junk
  fakeroot alien --to-deb /path/to/lexmark???.rpm

That will produce a .deb file in that directory.  Install the .deb
using dpkg.

  dpkg -i lexmark???.deb

Snags: Alien is not perfect.  This won't work on all packages.  But it
generally works.  Sometimes it wants to gather up all of the files in
the current directory and so I run it in an empty directory to limit
what alien can see and get confused by.

Bob