Re: woody Release files changing

On Fri, May 24, 2002 at 10:07:26AM -0700, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> writes:
> > It's both. The binary-*/Release files are updated whenever the
> > dists/*/Release file is, even if there aren't any changes to those
> > files. (dists/*/Release gets it's Date: field updated if nothing else)
> Um, ok, then this opens further confusion (pardon my ignorance)...
> are you saying that the change to dists/*/Release is a bug, but the
> changes to binary-*/Release are an expected consequence of the bug?

No, changing dists/*/Release is correct: the Date: changes and that's
a meaningful change. The way things are implemented, every change to
dists/*/Release forces an update of dists/*/*/binary-*/Release too,
even if nothing actually changes (the file is rewritten with the exact
same contents). This is a bug. Its only effect is to have apt download
it again though, and since the files are tiny, it's not a high priority
to fix.

Cheers,
aj

     ``BAM! Science triumphs again!''