New user creation problems

Hello all,
I recently added a new user to my system, so that he and I could file
share - he'll be mostly conecting via ssh or scp'ing files in & out.
this part of it has worked just fine so far.
Now for the problem:
He stopped by the other day, and wanted to log in to do something or
other, but kdm kicked him out with a "login failed".  Rather than worry
about kdm at first, as he doesn't need a GUI, we jumped back to an open
vt, and he tried to login.  This failed with "permission denied".  Now
I'm stumped.
I added him with the normal adduser program, filling in pertinent
details.  I can su - "user" and log in as him fine.  He can ssh in
without a problem.  He has an entry in both /etc/groups and /etc/shadow.
None of the other users have this problem.  I really can't figure out
where the problem is - it seems to me like a PAM issue, but just looking
through the conf files, I don't see anything that is set up to exclude
all but listed users, or include only some users - that is, I see that
it can be done in various files, but I have not changed them from their
commented out original state.
Running Sid, up to date as of today.
Help?
Steve
--
T-shirt:
	Life is *not* a Cabaret, and stop calling me chum!