wow... more breakage.

well, this is my third post in the past two days, but I'm amazed at how
much grief this is giving me.  I went home on my lunch hour today and
booted my system, apt-get install'ed hdparm and checked my settings, it
wasn't using DMA or anything, and at the bottom of the listing it said
something along the lines of "HDIO: Failed to get BUSSTATE" (sorry I can't
remember the exact mesage, but I'm at work right now and forgot to write
it down. so I used hdparm -c3 -d1 -X34 /dev/hda  to Try get it working
properly.  (This is a Duron 1GHz with a 30GB Fujitsu Drive which supports
UDMA 100. on an ECS Motherboard with the SiS Chipset)  the command seemed
to work (no errors) but as soon as I tried to type another command the
entire system locked solid, this all happened with the default Kernel that
is installed during the woody installation.