RE: Installation troubles after rebooting, loops

-----Original Message-----
From: G. Del Merritt [mailto:del@alum.mit.edu]
Sent: Monday, May 06, 2002 11:23 AM
To: Thomas Bushnell, BSG
Cc: Joey Hess; Richard van Paasen; debian-testing@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Installation troubles after rebooting, loops

At 11:51 PM 5/3/2002 -0700, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
>Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> writes:
>
> > You can switch to a different VT and kill base-config once it goes into
> > its loop, install the one from unstable, and run base-config by hand. Or
> > better, boot up to single user mode in the first reboot, upgrade
> > base-config to unstable's at that point, and let it boot on up to
> > multiuser for a clean test of unstable's base-config.
>
>It's not that easy.  If you kill base-config, then init will just
>start another one.
>
>You have to edit it out of /etc/inittab, kill it off, and then do what
>Joey says.

I remain confused.  I experienced the looping bug.  I edited
/etc/apt/sources.list to point to unstable and did an apt-get update and
upgrade of base-config.  I then changed my sources.list to point back to
testing.

I ran base-config - no loop! - but now it's getting from "stable" instead
of from testing.

I don't mind running a partial potato, since I'm installing this on my
son's new system, but I was kind of hoping to get from stuff woody
instead.  Is this a feature of base-config, or did I lamely overlook a
switch or config file that would have forced it to get from stable?  My
sources.list just had a single line at this point:
         deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian testing main

but now, lo and behold, it has a bunch of lines in addition to/following
that one, all pointing to various "stable" sites.

-Del

I installed two separate systems this weekend using Debian 3.0
boot-floppies.  In both cases I ran into this base-config loop. The system
would come up on initial reboot, debconf would ask to set the root password,
Timezone information was set, answered whether to enable kerberos, and the
shadow passwords.  A message stating "Loading /etc/console/boottime.kmap.gz"
would appear and it would return to Timezone information with my previous
answers as defaults. I tried moving that file :)  it didn't work.  Any
answers I gave didn't change the loop from that point.  In my case I exited
base-config and built the system manually by writing a sources.list to
access woody directly.  The only thing I ran into with sources.list was a
time my two lines were commented out by a process.  I figured that was
debconf finishing up part of base-config or something.

I also had a problem with the display under configuring kernel modules,
everything was framed with characters; for example:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
A	<yes> <No>		A
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Besides looking bad and munging some of the module names, it was useable.

So far both a k6-333 (I was able to get sound working on this machine with
3.0, I couldn't before with 2.2r4) and a dual PIII 800 are up and running
besides the above problems and the exception of gpm issues.

Wolftales