Re: [2002-04-30] Release Status Update

On Thu, 2002-05-02 at 12:01, Karl Hammar wrote:
> Well, I installed recently on a i486 class box, and when the bf-kernel
> booted the screen went blank.

I've done some vmware installations and one on a real system (pentium
firewall/gateway box), used disabled framebuffer (without knowing it at
the time) on the vmware's, and noticed the changes when running with
framebuffer on the real system.

Disabling it is easy... but might need to be stated a bit more clearly,
I just added the vga options, not knowing if this would turn on/off
framebuffer (the first time)

> Is the fb really needed for installation, or could it just be removed
> without side effects ?

Not really if you only want to do a normal (english) install, but it's
required if you want to do the install in korean or something (I noticed
all kinds of chinese/japanese/unreadable letters in the language select
screen when running with framebuffer. I assume this is a requirement for
these languages, since those chars are not in US-ASCII :)

--
Mark Janssen -- maniac(at)maniac.nl -- GnuPG Key Id: 357D2178
Unix / Linux, Open-Source and Internet Consultant @ SyConOS IT