Re: [2002-04-30] Release Status Update

On Tue, 30 Apr 2002, Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> wrote:
> Well, not the best news, but this means we have a week or two before
> release in which testing is going to be entirely frozen with no changes.
> This seems like an excellent opportunity to do final testing of woody.
> It would be great for peace of mind to see some successful installation
> and upgrade reports. Any remaining glitches would have to just be
> documented around, rather than fixed. Just don't find any release
> critical bugs, mmmkay?
>
> --
> see shy jo

Well, I installed recently on a i486 class box, and when the bf-kernel
booted the screen went blank.

The cure was to disable the framebuffer, and then to set up lilo to
tell the kernel to disable the fb.

How to disable the fb is documented on the bf.
But it was not obvoius what caused the blank screen, since I had
nothing which told me about any errors, except a blank screen.

Is the fb really needed for installation, or could it just be removed
without side effects ?

Regards,
/Karl

Karl Hammar                    Aspö Data           karl@kalle.csb.ki.se
Lilla Aspö 2340             +46  173 140 57                    Networks
S-742 94 Östhammar         +46  10 270 26 67                  Computers
Sweden                                                       Consulting