Re: Ensoniq 137x / SB PCI 128 & woody

This one time, at band camp, Cristian Degli Esposti Boschi said:
> Well, thanks everyone for the first round
> (I also took benefit from posts in debian-italian).
> Here is what I collected:
>
> a) From 'lsof |grep /dev/dsp' it turned out
> that 'yiff' was using /dev/dsp. I removed it.
> Now KDE doesn't complain anymore but I still can't play
> sound neither in Gnome nor in KDE.
Do you have any of the sound demons (arts,esd) installed?  That's what
KDE and GNOME need do to play sound.
> b) Moreover, I tried playing an mp3 file with
> 'mpg123' under 'root' and I got 'Illegal Instruction'...
> Why?
What command, and specifically what error?  That's not an mpg123 error
AFAIK - direct quoting if possible would be helpful.
> c) Many of you suggested to use es1370. Now 'modconf'
> don't let me remove neither es1371 nor soundcore.
> The same with 'modprobe -r' (of course). They say
> '... device busy'. From 'lsmod' it is seen that
> 'es1371' uses 'soundcore, but "who" uses es1371?
Presumably it's a program rather than a module using es1371 - you can
either grep about to find it or add es1370 to /etc/modules and reboot
- the first way will provide you with more info about your box and your
problem, but the second is quicker.
> Regarding "aumix" and OSS modules what are the critical
> things to check?
It sounds like the OSS modules are about to be resolved - the correct
module usually helps :).  aumix will just let you set the sound levels
on your various channels - just make sure you have the output turned
up reasonably on all of them for now and fine tune later.
> Cheers, Cristian
Good luck,
Steve
--
The naked truth of it is, I have no shirt.
		-- William Shakespeare, "Love's Labour's Lost"