Re: 2.4.17 kernel & pcmcia problem

    "Tom" == Tom Allison <tallison1@twmi.rr.com> writes:

    Tom> Has anyone else noticed that the kernel-source for 2.4.17 and
    Tom> the pcmcia-source for 3.1.31 are not playing well with each
    Tom> other?

I have never actually tried building the 2.4.17 kernel's PCMCIA
drivers, but I can vouch for the 3.1.31 pcmcia-source building just
fine with the 2.4.17 source *IF* you choose not to use the kernel's
drivers.

    Tom> I have found that the 2.4.17 orinoco driver
    Tom> (driver/net/wireless/) is version 08a and the pcmcia 3.1.31
    Tom> orinoco driver is at version 08 (from
    Tom> /usr/src/modules/pcmcia-cs...).

I read somewhere (PCMCIA HOWTO?) that the kernel drivers and the
PCMCIA drivers are not quite in sync for now, and probably it will be
2.6 (or 3.0 or whatever the next release is)  before they get to the
same.

    Tom> I have built a kernel and modules images and have tried to
    Tom> install them both.  I have to do a dpkp -i --force-overwrite
    Tom> in order to get them to install.  The error is related to a
    Tom> duplicate of pcmcia_core modules.

The same document (it must have been the HOWTO) suggested that the
PCMCIA build would detect when the kernel modules were being built,
and then not build the drivers in the package.

Sorry, can't help you anymore than that. BTW, the wavelan driver in
the pcmcia-source package works great with my RoamAbout and Orinoco
cards.

Cheers!
Shyamal