Re: STARTX

Mark L. Kahnt wrote:

On Mon, 2002-10-07 at 11:52, Andre Leblanc wrote:
Not exactly my area of expertise but what about that "no framebuffer found" line... sounds like you have X Configured to use a framebuffer, but maybe thats not compiled into the kernel. framebuffers from what I've heard are not the best idea for general purpose X Displays. causes alot of problems. also it mentions that there were screens found, but they are not configured properly (or some similar message) check your HorizSync and VertRefresh Lines, and the mode lines.
Good luck,
Andre

I read it the same way - although I'd qualify the observations with the
consideration that framebuffers work better with some hardware where the
supporting code is more advanced than with other. Framebuffers work fine
with older ATI cards, for instance, but for NVidia, where for some time
the only support was via a binary-only module, I'm pretty sure that it
isn't *quite* as complete yet. That said, it sounds like there isn't
anything compiled into the kernel or as a module to provide framebuffer
support at present, so at this point, the X server should be switched.

An apt-cache search nvidia only points to xserver-svga, which is for
XFree86 3.3.6, although there is a beta source code in nvidia-glx-src
for an XFree86 4.0 driver. Apparently you install it, build it and
install that, and voila.
You havent by any chance recently upgraded from stable, and previously used the nvidia driver from www.nvidia.com? If you have done so chances are that the upgrade overwrites your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file and replaces driver nvidia with driver nv. also some dri and glcore. Read the readmefile that comes with the nvidiadriver if this can be the cause.

Kenneth