Re: how to downgrade from testing to stable

On Sun, 2002-09-29 at 03:25, A. L. Meyers wrote:
> Thanks for the inputs, everyone.  Now I've become really scared.  Could
> someone please post or point me to some verbose examples of
> /etc/apt/preferences files?  :-)
>
> BTW it would seem to me that apt developers should make downgrading just
> as simple as upgrading.

/etc/apt/preferences should look something like this.

Package: *
Pin: release a=stable
Pin-Priority: 1001

Package: *
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: 900

Package: *
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 400

I used this successfully before, but I tried about 2 months ago to
downgrade from unstable to stable and dpkg did not want to downgrade
dpkg.  I tried many things without success and ended up downgrading to
testing.