Re: how to downgrade from testing to stable

Hi,

On Sat, 2002-09-28 at 22:08, Hans-Georg Bork wrote:
> > [...]
> > Which is what should happen. Going back a release is not supported as
> > an easy operation AFAIK. [...]
>
> it isn't too easy, but it's even not very complicated.
> Sorry for this, but please run
> 	man dpkg
> and read it.
[downgrading using dpkg]

This is possible, but I would not recommend it. I once tried it (some
time ago, may have become better, but I doubt it) and it's an absolute
pain in the ass. You'll likely have to manually downgrade hundreds of
packages. Reinstalling is much faster and more comfortable. Backup
configfiles you hand-edited and go for it.
If you want to try the downgrade approach, have a look at aptitude.
There you can see what versions are available and you can also use it to
downgrade. But don't rely on aptitude to work perfectly, it's a great
tool if you hate the command line, but it's still in development.
Anyway, reinstalling will likely get you where you want as fast as
possible. Oh the pinning might work too. Never tested it though, and I
doubt it will work. Might be worth a try though.
One last thing: if you decide to downgrade (instead of reinstall), you
might succeed with some effort. But you could end up with a system that
is very subtly but denervatingly screwed.

  Thorsten