snort rules update

Hello,

I am running Debian Woody and I have problems updating my snort rules.  When I
download the latest stable package (latest rules for Snort 1.8) from snort.org
and update my snort rules I get the following error at startup:

  Sep 19 10:18:10 hostname snort: FATAL ERROR: [!] ERROR
  /etc/snort/exploit.rules(22) => Bad port number: "(msg:"EXPLOIT"

If I remove line 22, the 'Bad port number' will appear in other lines and/or
files. I think it's a Debian problem, since the rules files on snort.org are
not invalid.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem? Anyone using snort on Woody
and update the snort-rules without problems?

With kind regards, Siert