imlib / libpng / qt dependancy issues

Hi,

I've been compiling KDE3 on woody, using qt3 debian packages, so far all has
gone well. Too well, so typically after a while somethings now not going
well :)

kdegraphics package requires qt3 and imlib development files, but this
doesn't appear to be possible. The problem *seems* to be qt3 is compiled
against libpng3, whilst imlib is compiled against libpng2. While it's no
problem having the runtime libraries installed concurrently, libpng2-dev
package wants to remove libpng-dev (which seems to be the libpng3 dev files,
odd), which in turn is removing my qt3-dev qt3-mt-dev package. Arrrghhh! Is
this right? Is there a bug with the png versioning somewhere? How the heck
can I ultimately compile this kdegraphics package with imlib AND qt3 dev
files?

--
dan