Debian installation hangs

Anyone seen this problem.

My system:
CPU: AMD - Athalon
Linux Dist: Mandrake 8.1
Keyboard: keytronic PS/2 connector to PC

I want to remplace Mandrake with Debian. This dist I have
is 2.2 r5. I'll do the apt-upgrade to after.

I put the Debian ISO image (the disk are good I installed
the dist onto other PCs) and boot off the cdrom.

I get the 'boot:' prompt, I can type stuff
So far so good.

Now for launching the installation. Press <enter>.
Linux gets loaded into memory, but it fails to detect
my keyboard :( The error string that flies by is something
like: AT - timeout keyboard not detected. With no keyboard
I have to press the reset button.

I tried different linux invocation at the boot
linux debug linux verbose linux debug verbose linux kbd-reset
linux debug verbose init=/bin/sh
All fails to detect my keyboard.

Does having an other linux dist somehow affecting the Debian
installation? I would think not.
Any tricks?