Testing open source software

How do I test any open source tool (say autoconf)
after I build from source on a new architecture. I
want to validate the binaries before packaging them
for the new platform. All sources do not come with the
test cases. So is it correct to assume I have to
either write my own test cases or contact the
maintainer? If I start writing test cases, I have a
lot to worry about coverage of these tests.. Is there
a testcase repository or something for all open source
software?