Re: woody unusable for dial on demand because of exim/libc6 bug

On Fri, Mar 29, 2002 at 22:49, Ben Collins wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 30, 2002 at 04:44:28AM +0100, Steffen Evers wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I have noticed a bad behavior of exim or something exim calls several
> > month ago and it still seems to exist:
>
> exim, like other programs, supports ipv6, which is done via a libc
> function that does several layers of lookups. This is not a bug in
> libc6, nor exim. It's just the way things work (same with telnet, etc.).
>
> You can get around it by setting up a local DNS server.

So, anyone who wants to use email on Debian is supposed to have a DNS
server in reach in order to tell exim that there is NO valid DNS entry
for your localhost?
Come on, this can not be the proper way to handle it.
Setting up a local DNS server is a good workaround, but not a proper
solution for all Debian users.

Maybe you are right and libc6 is just doing what it is expected to do,
but exim should have a proper way to switch this behavior off.
There is even an option in exim that could be used for it.

# This specifies the name of the current host. This is used in the HELO
# command for outgoing SMTP messages, and as the default for
# qualify_domain.
# If it is not set, Exim calls uname() to find it. If this fails, Exim
# panics and dies. If the name returned by uname() contains only one
# component, Exim passes it to gethostbyname() in order to obtain the
# fully
# qualified version.

#primary_hostname = felix

However, using it I ran into other problems which are described in the
following mail from Philip Hazel (taken from a thread betweeen him
and me):

> Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 09:45:34 +0000 (GMT)
> From: Philip Hazel <ph10@cus.cam.ac.uk>
> To: Steffen Evers <mldeb@forevers.de>
> Subject: Re: [Exim] unnecessary invocations of dial on demand
>
> On Thu, 8 Nov 2001, Steffen Evers wrote:
>
> > the following log is generated while exim.conf having
> > primary_hostname = darkstar
> > set.
>
> I deduce from the output that you have local_domains_include_host and
> local_domains_include_host_literals set? Is this right? That is perhaps
> what is making a difference between having primary_hostname set and not
> set.
>
> I still don't understand what is going on, though.
>
> > I have seen that there is a 3.33 version of exim out there and I have
> > read as well that there are some problems with IPv6 in 3.32. Is this the
> > problem?
>
> No. It seems you don't have IPv6 support in your kernel, so Exim is
> falling back to IPv4. (The problems were concerned with the daemon.)
>
> > DNS lookup of smtprelay.t-online.com (A) gave TRY_AGAIN
>
> This is indeed the line that seems to suggest that the problem is in the
> DNS. But if it's different without setting primary_host name, it
> suggests there is something odd like maybe overwriting of the resolver
> library or something.
>
> I'm afraid I don't really know what to suggest you try next. Perhaps
> you should try turning off local_domains_include_host and
> local_domains_include_host_literals and see if you still get the same
> effect.

After this I simply gave up and accepted the DNS queries as I personally
have a flatrate and can handle it.

So, is there a way to fix this?

Bye, Steffen