Still having upgrade problems with xserver-svga

I have a laptop (Compq Presario model 1245) that I have been using for
testing. I installed from Potato CDs and then upgraded to Woody over a PPP
connection. Because I knew that there were major changes between Potato
and Woody reguarding XFree86, I put off the configuration of X until the
upgrade.

I had hoped that the debconf bug fix had propogated into Woody by now, but
apparently it hasn't. When I tried to configure X, I got the "Unbounded ["
error. (well, I did see the message scroll past ;-)

There were other errors that seemed to go away with repetition, and at one
point things failed so badly that I was told to run dpkg --configure -a,
which I did.

Anyway, when apt-get finally told me that everything was installed
correctly, X was not properly configured.

Eventually I tried 'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-svga' and was asked all the
right questions by debconf, got all the way through the configure process
without any errors, and ended up with an XF86Configure that contains no
"Screen" section.

OK, first question: I can't find any reference to the unbound [ bug, and I
don't remember what file I'm supposed to fix. (I only got the error once,
and was unable to read the full message before it scrolled away.) What
file is this missing ] in?

My assumption is that with this fixed, the Screen section will be properly
constructed. (Yes, I realize that I can hack this section into the config
file by hand...)

Also, I've always used the Setup package in the past, but this nice GUI
program is no longer provided, leaving only xf86config-v3 for configuring
X outside of "by hand" or "using debconf". My problem involves not knowing
what to tell this configure program when it asks for my Monitor type. I
know what kind of graphics chipset is involved, but I don't have any
particulars about the screen. What "monitor" do I declare in this case?
(looking at the Monitors.gz database doesn't give me a clue ;-)

It appears that the fixed version of this package isn't going to make it
into Woody, at least it hasn't yet, and it's been "available" for some
time according to Branden...  So I suspect that having a clear idea of the
workaround would be useful.

Waiting is,

Dwarf
--
_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "Dwarf's Guide to Debian GNU/Linux"  _-_-_-_-_-_-