USB mouse recognition

I installed a fresh Woody system (01/03/2002) on my laptop. The install went smooth. But:

Is there still no way to tell Debian to setup the /dev/input/mice device(s) automatically? Sure, I can do it by hand, but this has to be done by the installer if it detects an usb mouse (or if that's not possible at install time, let the user manually set an usb mouse type). The corresponding XF86Config-4 file already contains the required lines so that the usb mouse can act besides an internal touchpad.

Am I missing anything here?

Beat