Re: Malformed Release File !!!

On Mon, 7 Jan 2002, Michael Wagner wrote:

> On Montag, 07. Jan. 2002 at 15:45:22, Johann Spies wrote:
>
> > I have the privilege to do a Linux introductory course for 4 weeks (one
> > group per week) during which we do a network installation of woody.  So
> > far we got the Malformed Release File problem on 4 of the about 32
> > installations.  That is embarrasing in a classroom situation.  The
> > computers all have the same hardware configuration and use the same
> > network resource for the installation.
Apparently this problem is around for a while - Either we do something
wrong or they just ignore us Johann :))

> Hello Johann,
>
> I don't understand this. You have the privileg to do a Linux
> introductory course and want to make it with a testing distribution.
> Note: woody == testing. Why don't you take stable == potato. There are
> not so much problems and it makes life and learnig much easier.
>
> CU Michael

Dear Michael - personally I consider woody now to be much better, more
relieble than potato. Anyway who is going to use a system which will soon be an
exhibition in a museum. Ok maby for a server it is more wise to use the
stable release but as for a workstation - potato lacks already support for
many devices (because it doesn't officially support v2.4.x), the X are out
of date - I cannot imagine watching a movie on my pc using the 3.3.6
distribution or playing quake with friends.
For all those people having an easy access to internet I will always
recommend woody now because of the superior quality package system plus a
confortable feel and filosophy of GNU/Linux. That's why I ask
you - responsible for the package system to give an explanation on why
it's so and why that "malformed release file" bug exists - I installed Woody a
couple of times and as for now the installation won't go smoothly if I
plan to use my local mirror site. What I noticed is that the script cannot
indicate the reason of what's wrong - even if the mirror server name is
typed in completely incorrectly you will get the famous message and not
even a message that the sever typed doen't exist at all. The first time I
got completely confused and I didn't know what to do.

greeting to everyone

Tomek